The Roman aqueducts of the eternal city
There were 11 Roman aqueducts in ancient Rome. Built in just 5 centuries, they provided abundant water for fountains, spas, baths, swimming pools, ponds, houses and gardens. A sophisticated system that has guaranteed the city the fame as Queen of the Waters or Queen Aquarum.
Masterpieces of Roman engineering, the ancient Roman aqueducts have left indelible traces of their passage in much of the world and still mark the identity of the territories and cities they cross (from Segovia to Nimes, from Istanbul to Tunis).
Rome is a city of water par excellence, the Queen of Waters or Regina Aquarum. Although currently the majority of its water supply of drinking water (around 80%) occurs thanks to the modern Peschiera aqueduct (9,500 l/s) which draws from the springs in Sabina, in Cittaducale in the province of Rieti, and whose construction began in 1938, already over two thousand years ago, the city could boast a dense network of aqueducts which guaranteed it abundant water to supply fountains (and the so-called. “Nasoni”), spas and houses.

L’acquedotto Claudio (52 d.C.) nel Parco degli Acquedotti a Roma.
The Romans disseminated aqueducts throughout Italy, from the North to the South of the Peninsula, and in much of the world, from Tunisia to Spain, from Turkey to Morocco, France and Germany. Among the best preserved, in addition to the aqueducts of the City (seven of which flow into the so-called "Park of Aqueducts"), there are the Pont du Gard (17 BC) in France (with the dual function of bridge and aqueduct) and the Segovia Aqueduct (1st century AD) in Spain, true national monuments.
Defined as the Queen of Waters (Regina Aquarum) for the richness of the sources from which the city could draw, which guaranteed such an abundance of water for the entire population, "that if someone had carefully evaluated the abundance of water in public places, baths, baths, swimming pools, ponds, houses, gardens, suburban villas, and the large number of aqueducts that lead them to Rome over long arched substructures, through perforated mountains and filled valleys, it will have to be agreed that it does not exist in all the world a more wonderful work than this.” (Pliny the Elder, NH XXXVI, 123)
The water supply system in Ancient Rome, in the 2nd century. AD, was very sophisticated: 11 Roman aqueducts, cisterns for collecting water, settling tanks for depositing sediments, reverse siphons to overcome differences in level and pipes and conduits that distributed the water throughout the city. A vast network of approximately 500 km capable of capturing and conveying to the city over 13 thousand liters of water per second (over one billion liters per day). Which, divided equally among the 1.5 million inhabitants of the time, makes approximately 750 litres/day available per capita: compared to the UN standard of 50 liters per day, this appears to be a phenomenal number. Imperial Rome guaranteed water in abundance and quality, capable of satisfying all the needs of its citizens.
For over 400 years after the founding of Rome, Roman citizens took water directly from the Tiber River. Until the spread of ailments and problems related to its consumption led to the search for healthier waters far from the city: thus the aqueducts were born. Ancient Rome could boast the beauty of 11 aqueducts that crossed the city from north to south, from east to west, collecting water up to tens of kilometers away from the city, usually from a spring or the waters of a lake and which guaranteed abundance for the entire population.
- Appian Aqueduct (312 BC)
- Anio Vetus (269 BC)
- Acqua Marcia (144 BC)
- Water Tepula (125 BC)
- Julian Aqueduct (Acqua Iulia), 33 BC
- Virgin Aqueduct (19 BC)
- Alsietino Aqueduct (2 BC)
- Claudian Aqueduct (52 AD)
- Anio Novus (52 AD)
- Trajan Aqueduct (109 AD)
- Alexandrian Aqueduct (226 AD)

Four aqueducts (Anio Vetus and Novus, Acqua Marcia and Claudia) followed the course of the Aniene towards the East, stopping at different points (Mandela, Arsoli, Subiaco). Three heading east: Acqua Appia near La Rustica, Acqua Vergine just beyond and Acqua Alessandrina up to Pantano Borghese along the Prenestina. Two (Acqua Iulia and Tepula) face south-east in the direction of the Castelli Romani. Finally, two heading north-west in the Viterbo area: the Traiana water up to Lake Bracciano near Trevignano Romano and the Alsietina water towards Lake Martignano.
The place where all the beauty and majesty of these water giants is manifested is the so-called Parco degli Acquedotti, a vast natural area that extends for hundreds of hectares in the south-eastern quadrant of Rome. The name is not accidental: here there are seven Aqueducts, six from the Roman period (Acqua Marcia, Tepula, Iulia, Claudia, Anio Novus and Vetus) and one from the Renaissance (Felice Aqueduct). A unique spectacle: nature and architecture have always lived in harmony here.
The same aqueducts, the seven coming from the south-east, from the Alban Hills and the Upper Aniene Valley, entered Rome passing through the Porta Maggiore, the entrance to Rome where the Casilina (or Labicana) and Prenestina consular roads converge, a strategic point - given the altitude - which easily allowed their distribution throughout the city. Here they join the Aurelian Walls, generating a crossroads of antiquity: the gate supported different levels of conduits which are still visible today.

Porta Maggiore, access to the city from the South-East. The main Roman aqueducts met here
Detailed information on the Roman aqueducts, on the secrets and techniques, comes to us from two Roman engineers who lived between the 1st century. B.C. and the 1st century. AD: Vitruvius and Frontinus. Both left precious written testimonies of Roman architecture.
1. Appian Aqueduct (312 BC)
The forefather of Roman hydraulic engineering, the first of the Roman Aqueducts is the Appio Claudio Aqueduct or simply Appius. Built by the censor Appius Claudius Caecus in 312 BC. (the same one who built the most famous road of ancient Rome, the Via Appia or Regina Viarum), was 16 km long, built in squared tuff blocks and dry-laid, and reached Rome entirely underground up to the Porta Capena from where it was distributed throughout the city. The springs, now dried up, had a daily flow rate of around 800 liters per second, and were located between Via Prenestina and Collatina.
Before then, the Romans obtained water directly from the Tiber River, wells and urban springs. The spread of diseases related to the pollution of the river pushed the search for cleaner water far from the city, encouraging the construction of grandiose architectural works capable of carrying water for kilometers to the gates of the City.
2. Anio Vetus (269 BC)
The second aqueduct of Rome, the Anio Vetus Aqueduct (or Aniene Vecchio), built in 269 BC, has the name that derives from the Aniene river while the suffix Vetus was attributed to it three centuries later when another aqueduct was built which took water from the same river: the Anio Novus. It follows the path of the Aniene river for over 63 km passing Tivoli to converge near the villages of Vicovaro and Mandela. The water was of poor quality – being taken directly from the river – and was therefore used for non-potable uses, such as irrigation and fountains in villas and gardens.
Conversely, from Tivoli, the aqueduct continued in the valleys of Gallicano, with a sinuous course to avoid the depths of the valleys (later monumental bridges such as the Ponte della Mola were built which shortened its route) and arrived in Rome along the via Prenestina near Porta Maggiore, from where it continued underground up to Piazza Vittorio, ending near the Porta Esquilina (or Arco di Gallienus).
Remains of the speco (conduit where the water flows) of the aqueduct discovered, reveal the construction features: with a rectangular section in tuff and covered with a thick layer of cocciopesto (for waterproofing).

Anio Vetus Aqueduct: the Mola Bridge, Gallicano (RM)
3. Martian Aqueduct (Aqua Marcia, 144 BC)
Just over a century later, the water supplied by the two aqueducts had become insufficient due to the expansion of the city. The praetor Quinto Marcius Re was commissioned by the senate to build a new one: the Marcius Aqueduct. Completed in 144 BC, it also follows the path of the Aniene river but, unlike the Anio Vetus, it does not draw water directly from the river but rather further upstream in one of its springs near the town of Arsoli. It was therefore drinkable, of excellent quality and abundance, so much so that Pliny the Elder defined it as "a gift given to the City by the gods" as "clarissima aquarum omnium". It was also the second in terms of quantity of water (behind the Anio Novus), with a flow rate of approximately 2,200 liters per second.
It was the longest of the Roman aqueducts of the Eternal City, almost 92 km, and the first to reach Rome, carrying water raised up to 10 meters above the ground over powerful arches made of blocks of tuff tens of kilometers long, reaching the slopes of the Capitoline Hill and the Quirinale. Three centuries later, Caracalla derived a branch from it to supply his Baths.

Opposing aqueducts. On the left: the Felice aqueduct. Right: the Claudio and Marcio aqueduct united (via del Mandrione, Rome)
Subsequently, the conduits of two other aqueducts were superimposed on it – the Acqua Tepula and the Acqua Iulia – as can be seen in a section that remains in the Aqueduct Park. Centuries later, long parts of the aqueduct were destroyed and reused to build the modern Felice aqueduct: its arches are still visible in Tor Fiscale, at Mandrione and between Porta Maggiore and Porta Tiburtina.
4. Aqua Tepula (125 BC)
The Aqua Tepula aqueduct was built in 125 BC. by the censors Cepione and Longinus, to capture the warm waters (it seems that the water had a natural temperature of around 17 degrees: hence Tepula) coming from the volcanic area of the Alban Hills.
The fourth and last aqueduct of the Republican age, it was approximately 18 km long and, for the most part, overlapped the arches of the Marcio aqueduct (it can be seen in the Parco degli Acquedotti), from when it came to the surface, from the Villa dei Quintili to Porta Maggiore. From here it continued towards Termini station and Piazza della Repubblica, to supply the Baths of Diocletian. Its brick arches were taller and thinner than those made of tuff blocks of the Marcia. It had a very low water flow rate, the smallest of all aqueducts: only 198 l/s.

5. Julian Aqueduct (Aqua Julia, 33 BC)
Commissioned by the consul Agrippa in 33 BC, the Julius Aqueduct captured the so-called Aqua Julia, in honor of Gaius Julius Caesar Octavian, the future emperor Augustus. 22.5 km long, of which 7 were on the surface (where it overlapped with the Aqua Tepula conduit), it had a flow rate of 566 liters per second and, considering its height, it seems it was used for domestic purposes in the highest districts of the city.
It collected water from the Squarciarelli springs near Grottaferrata, combining them with the nearby Tepula springs to improve their quality. In the Capannelle area the two conduits overlap with those of the Acqua Marcia to reach Porta Maggiore together. Here, taking advantage of the structure of the Aurelian walls, it reaches Porta Tiburtina and then continues underground towards the Viminale, the Termini station and ends near Via XX Settembre.

6. Virgin Aqueduct (Aqua Virgo, 19 BC)
Always Agrippa, a few years later (19 BC), built the Vergine Aqueduct (which collected the so-called Aqua Virgo), intended to supply only the thermal baths that were simultaneously coming to life in the Campo Marzio. With a length of approximately 20 km, it is the only ancient aqueduct to have been in continuous operation after two thousand years (and which supplies the famous Trevi Fountain), thanks to being almost entirely underground.
It captured the sources to the east on the Via Collatina near the locality of Salone but, near the town center and, to avoid crossing it, it circumnavigated it arriving at Campo Marzio from the North, through the Trevi Fountain to reach the Pantheon and the Baths of Agrippa. It had an entirely underground route up to the Piazza di Spagna, where it emerged on the surface (a stretch of it can be seen in Via del Nazareno and in the Palazzo della Rinascente in Via del Tritone) to feed some of the most magnificent fountains in Rome and in the world, between the Renaissance and the Baroque: Fountain of the Turtles (Giacomo Della Porta, 1584), the Barcaccia by Bernini (1627), the fountains of Piazza Navona (fountain of Neptune, the Moro and the 4 Rivers) and Piazza del Popolo, the Pantheon and the monumental Trevi Fountain (Nicola Salvi, 1761).

Surface section of the Vergine Aqueduct. On the left: via del Nazareno. On the right: the underground areas of La Rinascente.
It captured the sources to the east on the Via Collatina near the locality of Salone but, near the town center and, to avoid crossing it, it circumnavigated it arriving at Campo Marzio from the North, through the Trevi Fountain to reach the Pantheon and the Baths of Agrippa. It had an entirely underground route up to the Piazza di Spagna, where it emerged on the surface (a stretch of it can be seen in Via del Nazareno and in the Palazzo della Rinascente in Via del Tritone) to feed some of the most magnificent fountains in Rome and in the world, between the Renaissance and the Baroque: Fountain of the Turtles (Giacomo Della Porta, 1584), the Barcaccia by Bernini (1627), the fountains of Piazza Navona (fountain of Neptune, the Moro and the 4 Rivers) and Piazza del Popolo, the Pantheon and the monumental Trevi Fountain (Nicola Salvi, 1761).
The name Virgo is to be attributed to the girl who, according to the legend, indicated the position of the springs that had been searched for so much in vain until then. But it is much more likely that this name refers to the purity and lightness of its waters which, due to the absence of limestone, did not block the duct, thus requiring low maintenance. This is what has allowed it to function to this day.

The Acqua Vergine exhibition, known as the Trevi Fountain (engraving by Piranesi)
7. Alsietino Aqueduct (Aqua Augusta, 2 BC)
The Alsietino aqueduct was built by the emperor Augustus in 2 BC. (also called Aqua Augusta), took water from Lake Martignano (in the past called Atsetio or Alseatino) in the Viterbo area, north of the city.
About 33 km long (almost entirely underground), it brought non-potable water to Rome destined by the emperor Augustus to feed the Naumachia, his "aquatic arena", a large artificial basin where naval battles were held to entertain the people. The Colosseum itself was used as a naumachia, flooding the stage.

On the left: the Alsietino aqueduct. Right: reconstruction of the Naumachia of Augustus
8. Claudian Aqueduct (38-52 AD)
The largest and most impressive of the Roman stone aqueducts, monumental. Similar in features and technique to the Pont du Gard in Nimes which had just been completed at the time, it stands out in the Roman countryside for many miles to create an unmistakable and powerful landmark. Wanted by Caligula in 38 AD. to meet the growing demand for water of the expanding city, it was finished by Emperor Claudius (from whom it took its name) in 52 AD. together with the Anio Novus.
Almost 69 km long, it went up the Aniene Valley in search of the springs identified near Arsoli and Marano Equo with the names of Sorgenti Serene and the small lake of Santa Lucia. The water had a very high quality, inferior only to the Marcia. The flow rate is abundant: approximately 2150 litres per second.
The use of materials evokes the ancestor Marcio aqueduct, but here the use of peperino predominates (of higher quality than the more ancient aqueducts) and to a lesser extent inserts of red and yellow tuff. The stones are cyclopean (up to 3 meters long) and are dry-laid. A difference with the older structures is the presence of a more resistant and wider band at the base of the pylons which acts as an intermediary with the ground on which it rests.
A few years later, Nero built a branch of it to supply the nymphaeum and the lake of his Domus Aurea. Later, Domitian extended it to the Palatine (where part of it is still visible) and to the imperial palaces present there.

L’Acquedotto Claudio nel Parco degli Acquedotti, Tuscolana

Acquedotti romani a confronto: Marcio, Claudio, Alessandrino
9. Anio Novus (52 AD)
Like the Claudian aqueduct, the Anio Novus (or Aniene Nuovo) was also commissioned by Caligula and finished building in 52 AD. by Emperor Claudius. Defined as Novus to distinguish itself from its ancestor Anio Vetus, it winds east along the Aniene Valley and shares for the most part the route of the Marcio and Claudio aqueducts, passing them to continue up to the gates of Subiaco. 87 km long, it is second in length only to the Marcio.
The part that rises above the surface on arches overlaps for a long stretch with the Claudio Aqueduct, as can be seen in the Aqueduct Park. The two aqueducts are distinguished by their materials and technique: the tuff block arches of the Claudio contrast with the speco of the Anio Novus made instead of brick and reticulate work.
It is the aqueduct with the highest water flow rate among the eleven ancient ones, almost 2,300 l/s.

The Claudio Aqueduct surmounted by the Anio Novus cave in the Aqueduct Park
10. Trajan Aqueduct (Aqua Paola, 109 AD)
Wanted by Emperor Trajan in 109 AD. to supply Trastevere, it reached as far as Lake Bracciano taking water from the springs of the Sabatini mountains. Starting from the north, it follows a long route that winds between Via Cassia, Clodia and, taking the Via Aurelia Antica, the Trajan aqueduct passes by Villa Pamphili passing under the Arch of Paul V and reaches the Janiculum.
Long 57 km, it had a flow rate of more than 1,300 litres/second. Repeatedly renovated and modified over time, it was finally rebuilt in the 1600s on the ancient pipelines and today is the modern Aqua Paola aqueduct, inaugurated in 1618 by Pope Paul V, which flows into the well-known Fontanone del Gianicolo, completed years later in 1690.

The exhibition or Fontana dell'Acqua Paola on the Gianicolo (engraving by Piranesi)
11. Alexandrian Aqueduct (Aqua Alexandrina, 226 AD)
The last of the Roman aqueducts, the Alexandrian Aqueduct was built in 226 AD. at the behest of Emperor Alexander Severus. Its route (22 km) winds between the consular streets via Prenestina and Casilina until it reaches the springs in the locality of Pantano Borghese, on the outskirts of the capital, the so-called. Aqua Alexandrina. The Aqueduct stands out imposingly with its arches in the eastern quadrant of the city, skirting the neighborhood of Centocelle and cutting across Palmiro Togliatti, becoming the star of the Tor Tre Teste park overlooking the "white sails" of the church – Dives in Misericordia – designed by star architect Richard Meyer.
Product of the technical achievements of 5 centuries of technological progress since the first aqueduct, it has a structure in cement work and external facing in brick. The aqueduct, almost entirely above ground on "slender" and high arches (over 20 metres) is excellently preserved and visible in a good part of the city. About 22km long, it had a low flow rate of around 255 litres per second. The springs, located on the Via Prenestina near Colonna, were then taken up by the Felice Aqueduct many centuries later.
Its waters were necessary to supply the Nero Baths, which the emperor himself renovated, renaming them the Alexandrine Baths.

The Alessandrino Aqueduct, from via Palmiro Togliatti to the Park of
Tor Tre Teste
The rebirth of water: the Felice aqueduct (1585)
After the fall of the Roman Empire, centuries of political and economic instability followed in the capital. Wars, looting and vandalism soon led to the ruin of the city and its most important works. Even the aqueducts were devastated: in the Middle Ages many of them were no longer able to function. We must arrive at the Renaissance, after a thousand years of abandonment, for the city to flourish again: art, architecture, economy and population began a new, flourishing period. Even the aqueducts reduced to rubble were repaired and returned to function.
Alongside the 11 aqueducts from the Roman era, a twelfth was added in the Renaissance: the Felice Aqueduct. The aqueduct is called Felice in honor of its creator, Pope Sixtus V, born Felice Peretti, who strongly desired it. Defined as a "tough pope" in a verse by the Roman poet Gioacchino Belli, in just 5 years of pontificate, he overturned and renewed the face of the Eternal City: he built aqueducts and fountains, palaces and streets, and had obelisks erected in the main squares.
The Felice aqueduct, like some of its predecessors, follows the existing aqueducts for long stretches. Apart from the Claudio Aqueduct, with which it shares a good part of the route, it is the Marcio aqueduct which is "given" entirely to him and was also demolished to make room for the new construction and its stones reused.
Between Porta Maggiore and Porta Tiburtina it follows the structure of the Acqua Marcia and runs parallel to the Aurelian Walls (3rd century AD). Near Porta Furba, at the end of Via del Mandrione, there is the Acqua Felice exhibition commissioned by Sixtus V. The Mandrione fountain was restored in 1733 on the initiative of Pope Clement XII (as the inscription reports).

The initial stretch of the Felice Aqueduct along Via Casilina Vecchia

Various Roman aqueducts united: Marcio, Claudio and Felice (Mandrione)
Water in Rome today
As we mentioned at the beginning, Rome's current water supply comes from two large sources. Mostly (around 80%) from the modern Peschiera aqueduct in the province of Rieti – the water takes 24 hours to reach the city – but the past has not completely disappeared.
In fact, many of the structures of the ancient aqueducts are still functioning, although partially and only following recent repairs, modifications and additions.
Then there is the Acqua Marcia aqueduct, renovated by Pope Pius IX at the end of the 19th century, which together with the Peschiera accounts for over 90% of the water that reaches Rome.
To a lesser extent, the Acqua Vergine and the Alessandrino aqueduct (Sixtus V had the ruins integrated into his Felice aqueduct). Finally, there is a reserve source that is activated only in cases of water emergency. It is the water of the Traiano aqueduct (recommissioned by Pope Paul V in 1618 who had it renamed Acqua Paola), coming from Lake Bracciano, which is made drinkable as needed, particularly during peaks of summer heat.
Contact now to book your unforgettable stay!
Don't miss the opportunity to live a unique experience a stone's throw from the heart of Rome. Contact us now to book your stay at our facilities and discover the tranquility and comfort that await you.