Rome and its fountains
Often, when visiting the capital, you will have wondered what the most beautiful fountains in Rome could be, and the answer, it must be admitted, is not so obvious. Water has always been a precious commodity for the Romans and they, among all, were able to exploit its many potentials through aqueducts, spas and fountains. Yes, because, especially in the Renaissance, fountains became a propaganda tool to affirm the wealth and political power of popes and nobles.
And therefore, given the wealth of fountains in the city, why not dedicate an unusual itinerary to discover the most beautiful fountains in Rome precisely to the monumental water sources.

Main places of the itinerary
- Fountain of the Naiadi
- Fountain of the Acqua Felice o Fontana del Mosè
- Fountain of the Tritone
- Fountain of Barcaccia
- Fountain of Trevi
- Fountain of Piazza Rotonda o fontana del Pantheon
- Fountain of Quattro Fiumi
- Fountain of the Turtles
- Big Fountain of the Gianicolo o Fontana dell’Acqua Paola
- Fountain of Santa Maria in Trastevere
Puoi seguirlo qui con Google Maps
1. Fountain of the Naiadi
The fountain of the Naiadi it obtains its explosion of water from the Acqua Pia Antica Marcia aqueduct, an aqueduct built between 1865 and 1870 by order of Pope Pius IX (1846-1878). It is the last exhibition fountain of the Papal State and also the first of Rome Capital.
Autore: Guerrieri Alessandro, Rutelli Mario.
Dating: 1885-1914
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Acqua Pia Antica Marcia

Piazza delle Repubblica
It was, in fact, inaugurated in a provisional form by the pontiff on 10 September 1870 in the Termini area, in the place currently occupied by the Dogali obelisk (erected in 1888) and built in a definitive form only after the establishment of the unitary state, in the current Piazza della Repubblica, the cornerstone of the new urban structure of the capital.
The architectural part was built in 1885 based on a design by Alessandro Guerrieri according to the directives of the building commission which also included plastic decoration. The fountain was then temporarily decorated with four stucco lions on the occasion of the visit of Emperor Wilhelm II in 1888.
Finally, in 1897, Mario Rutelli (1859 – 1941) was entrusted with the task of creating the sculptural part. The artist created the bronze sculptures that made the work known as the "Fountain of the Najadi": four groups composed of nymphs, animals and aquatic monsters, extremely vital and joyful female figures almost intent on playing with animals and monsters that ride under the splashes of water.
The fountain was inaugurated in 1901 and only later was completed by Rutelli with a central group; the work, temporarily created in concrete in 1911, was not considered suitable and in 1913 it was transferred to the garden in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II. In its place Rutelli placed the powerful figure of Glaucus entwined with the dolphin from whose mouth the central jet of water releases very high. Inaugurated in 1914, the fountain constitutes the most significant example of the liberty language in Rome and the expression of the desire of the unitary state to insert itself with a new language into the tradition of exhibition fountains.
2. Fontana dell'Acqua Felice o Fountain of the Mosè
The fountain of the Mosè in Piazza San Bernardo, it was built between 1585 and 1589 as the terminal exhibition of the Felice aqueduct, commissioned by Pope Sixtus V (1585-1590), born Felice Peretti, from whom it took its name.
Author: Giovanni Fontana, Domenico Fontana.
Dating: 1585-1589.
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Felice
The exhibition fountain recreates the shape of a triumphal arch with three arches and is made of travertine, marble and stucco. Four colored marble columns placed on high stylobates mark the openings of three large niches: in the central one there is the colossal statue of Moses by Prospero Antichi (not. 1578 ca. -1591) and Leonardo Sormani (not. 1550 ca. -1590) who completed it. In the side niches there are high reliefs illustrating biblical episodes relating to Aaron (left) with sculptures by Gian Battista della Porta (1542-1597), and Gideon (right) with sculptures by Pietro Paolo Olivieri (1538-1605) and Flaminio Vacca (1538-1605).

Piazza San Bernardo
At the base of the niches the water flows from a fake cipollino marble cliff into the basins originally decorated with four ancient lions in porphyry and marble from the Pantheon and the Lateran respectively, replaced in 1850 with others in bardiglio marble, made by Adamo Tadolini (1788-1868). The fountain is surrounded at the base by a travertine balustrade, created at the time of Pius IV (1559-1565) for the Belvedere courtyard in the Vatican and reused here.
Above the columns runs a cornice which shows the dates of construction of the work (1585-1587) and the very high attic in which the long commemorative inscription is located surmounted by the papal coat of arms supported by two angels. The construction is completed by a gilded copper cross, an element present in all the "notable factories" built by Sixtus V.
3. Fontana del Tritone
The fountain of the Tritone it was begun and completed between the end of 1642 and the first half of 1643, the Triton fountain in Piazza Barberini is one of the masterpieces of Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680).
Author: Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Dating: 1642-1643
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Felice
L’artista fu incaricato da papa Urbano VIII Barberini (1623-1644) della realizzazione dell’opera come “pubblico ornamento della città” al centro della piazza dominata dal nuovo palazzo della sua famiglia.
Rappresentato sulle valve di una enorme conchiglia, con il busto eretto e le gambe squamose di un mostro

Piazza Barberini
marine, the Triton stands imposingly with his head bent backwards in an effort to blow into the large whelk (or twisted shell) which he supports with his arms raised upwards and from which copious water flows out and sprays the entire work. Expression of the new baroque concept of space, in the fountain the sculptural part includes and completely absorbs the same architectural structure: the shell on which the triton rests constitutes the upper basin of the fountain, and the balustrade at the base is replaced by four dolphins with intertwined tails, between which are placed the papal coats of arms with bees, the heraldic symbol of the Barberini family.
Bernini himself was also responsible for the design of a fountain for the use of wayfarers originally located in the square, on the corner with Via Sistina, known as the Fontana delle Api (today at the beginning of Via Veneto).
4. Fountain of the Barcaccia
The fountain of the Barcaccia, located in the center of Piazza di Spagna, it was built between 1626 and 1629 by order of Pope Urban VIII Barberini (1623-1644)
Author: Pietro Bernini
Dating: 1626 - 1629
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Vergine
The pontiff actually implemented a project dating back to 1570 which envisaged decorating the most important squares of the city crossed by the renovated Vergine Aqueduct with public fountains. The fountain was commissioned to Pietro Bernini (1562-1629), architect of the Acqua Vergine from 1623 and father of the more famous Gian Lorenzo (1598-1680) with whom it cannot be excluded that

Piazza di Spagna
it was a collaboration. Pietro Bernini designed an absolutely new fountain compared to the works created in Rome at the end of the 16th century; in fact, he was inspired by a boat, creating a work that was more sculptural than architectural. The unique boat-shaped basin collects the water that comes out of two large suns - located inside the hull at the bow and stern - and that which gushes from a small central basin. The water overflowing from the sides of the boat, open so as to give the impression that it is sinking, is collected by an underlying basin into which the jets coming from the mouths of fake gunboats located outside the bow and stern, on the sides of the large papal coats of arms characterized by bees, symbol of the Barberini family, also flow.
5. Fountain of Trevi
The fountain of Trevi it is the terminal of the Vergine aqueduct - the only one of the ancient aqueducts (19 BC) continuously in use up to the present day - it is the best known of the Roman fountains and the most famous in the world for its spectacular monumentality.
Author: Nicola Salvi, Giuseppe Pannini
Dating: 1732-1762.
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Vergine
Documented in the Middle Ages, its name derives from a toponym in use in the area since the mid-12th century (regio Trivii), or from the triple outlet of the water of the original fountain.

Piazza di Trevi
In 1640 by will of Pope Urban VIII (1622-1644), in conjunction with the expansion of the square, Gian Lorenzo Bernini designed a new fountain oriented like the current one, the construction of which was limited to the installation of an exedra base with a basin in front, placed against the buildings later incorporated into the Poli palace.
The creation of the current Trevi fountain is due to Pope Clement XII (1730-1740), who in 1732 announced a competition in which the major artists of the time participated. The pontiff chooses among the projects of the architect Nicola Salvi (1697-1751) the most monumental and "of least harm to the palace behind" on whose façade the entire exhibition is placed with a thoughtful study of the proportions and decorations.
The fountain, structured like a triumphal arch, with a deep niche, slopes down towards the large basin with a large cliff, brought to life by the sculptural representation of numerous plants and the spectacular flow of the water. In the center dominates the statue of Oceanus driving the shell-shaped chariot, pulled by the angry horse and the placid horse, braked by two tritons. Reliefs that allude to the history of the aqueduct and allegorical figures connected to the beneficial effects of water decorate the façade at various levels. History and nature, understood in a dialectical relationship, as affirmed by the nascent Enlightenment, thus masterfully merge in Salvi's work.
The construction was completed by Giuseppe Pannini (c.1720-c.1810) who partially modified the cliff by regularizing the central basins.
After a restoration intervention in the years 1989-1991 (this was followed by maintenance of the central part in 1999), in 2014 thanks to FENDI, the last intervention was carried out at the end of 2024. This activity was placed in an intermediate position between the ordinary cleaning and maintenance operations which are periodically carried out with the emptying of the tanks and the structural restoration interventions (such as those of 1989-90, 1999 and 2014) aimed at eliminating limescale and biological patinas that deposit on the materials.
6. Fountain of Piazza della Rotonda o fountain of the Pantheon
The fountain of Piazza della Rotonda it was created by the sculptor Leonardo Sormani (known between 1530 and 1589) based on a 1575 drawing by the architect Giacomo della Porta (1533-1602).
The fountain consisted of a quadrangular basin in gray African marble with the sides interrupted by four circular arches, surmounted by a baluster supporting a basin.
Author: Giacomo della Porta; Leonardo Sormani; Filippo Barigioni; Luigi Amici.
Dating: 1575; 1662; 1711; 1880; 1928.
Original nutrition: acquedotto Vergine
Four masks were inserted into the handles of the semicircles, on the back of which were depicted as many dragons, heraldic symbols of Pope Gregory XIII Boncompagni (1572-1585). An external balustrade and three steps surrounded the pool.
Of the original complex today only the basin remains. In 1662 the level of the square was lowered, the balustrade and the dellaportian steps were removed and the current large base was built which repeats the mixtilinear motif of the basin.

Piazza della Rotonda o Piazza del Pantheon
In 1711, by will of Pope Clemente The obelisk of Ramses II stands on a fake travertine cliff, on which is inserted a plinth decorated on the corners with dolphins, while on two faces of the same plinth two monumental Alban coats of arms are sculpted. On the other faces an epigraph celebrating the interventions of Clement XI is repeated. At the base of the plinth there are inscriptions relating to the restorations.
During the restoration of 1880, the original masks (in storage at the Museum of Rome) were replaced by nineteenth-century copies by Luigi Amici (1817–1897).
7. Fountain of the Quattro Fiumi (4 rivers)
The fountain of the Quattro Fiumi, designed and built by Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598 – 1680), it is an unsurpassed baroque creation located in the center of one of the most important squares in the city.
Author: Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Dating: 1648 - 1651
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Vergine
Commissioned by Pope Innocent X Pamphilj (1644 – 1655) to adorn the square on which in those years the family palace was being built in monumental forms (together with the nearby church of S.Agnese and the Collegio Innocenziano), it replaced the trough installed together with the two lateral fountains in the seventies of the 1500s.

Piazza Navona
In 1647 the pontiff entrusted Francesco Borromini (1599 – 1667) with the project of the new pipeline which was to bring 180 ounces of the Virgin water to Piazza Navona and, at the same time, decided to transfer the obelisk (a Roman copy from the Domitian era) to the square which was lying in pieces in the area of the circus of Maxentius on the ancient Appian Way.
After completing a competition of ideas in which important artists of the time participated, the pope entrusted the task of creating the work to Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who had presented a silver model of the new fountain
At the center of a low elliptical basin, the fountain is imagined as a large travertine cliff, dug by a cave with four openings, which supports the granite obelisk. On the corners of the cliff are placed the monumental marble statues of the four rivers representing the continents known at the time, also identified by the vegetation and animals sculpted next to them: the Danube by Antonio Ercole Raggi for Europe, with the horse; the Ganges by Claude Poussin for Asia, with the oar and the dragon; the Nile by Giacomo Antonio Fancelli for Africa, with the veiled head (allusion to the unknown sources) associated with the lion and the palm tree; the Rio della Plata by Francesco Baratta for America with one arm raised - perhaps to protect himself from the rays of the sun represented by the obelisk - and next to an armadillo.Sulla parte alta della scogliera sono due grandi stemmi marmorei della famiglia del papa con la colomba che porta nel becco un ramo di ulivo, e la stessa colomba, in bronzo, è collocata alla sommità dell’obelisco.
The fountain was built between 1648 and 1651 by a large group of artists and workers directed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
A masterful fusion of architecture and sculpture, the Four Rivers fountain expresses movement in every sculptural detail, from the vegetation, to the statues, to the fauna represented in the basin and on the cliff, becoming the fulcrum of the entire surrounding space.
8. Fountain of the Turtles
The fountain of the Turtles was built between 1581 and 1588 based on a design by Giacomo della Porta (1533-1602) with sculptures by the Florentine Taddeo Landini (1550-1596).
The Turtle Fountain is characterized by the prevalence of sculptural works on the complex and articulated architectural structure enriched by the precious polychromy of the marbles used.
Author: Giacomo della Porta, Taddeo Landini
Dating: 1581-1588; 1658-1659
Original nutrition: acquedotto Vergine
The four bronze ephebes playing with as many dolphins, resting on the shell-shaped basins, underline the manneristic refinement of the work which absolutely distinguishes itself from the scheme adopted in the Roman fountains of the late sixteenth century.

Piazza Mattei
Following the restoration of the ancient Vergine aqueduct, it was decided already in 1570 to install a fountain in the nearby Piazza Giudea; however, the insistence of the noble Muzio Mattei had induced the Administration to move the fountain to the current square overlooked by his private residence. The same nobleman, who undertook "to have the square bricked at his own expense and keep the source clear", must also have been no stranger to the choice, made during construction, to replace the project's marble with bronze in the creation of the sculptures.
The four turtles placed on the edge of the upper basin, attributed by tradition to G.L. Bernini, constitute a happy completion of the work carried out during the restoration of 1658-59, under the pontificate of Alexander VII (1655-1667), remembered on the inscriptions of the four marble cartouches.
9. The Big Fountain of the Gianicolo o Fountain of the Acqua Paola
The Fountain of the dell'Acqua Paola, also known as the "Fontanone del Gianicolo", it was commissioned by Pope Paul V Borghese (1605-1621), following the restoration of the Trajan Aqueduct, which he himself promoted in 1608.
Built between 1610 and 1614 as a terminal exhibition of the Trajan-Paul Aqueduct, the construction of the fountain was entrusted to Giovanni Fontana (1540-1614), assisted by Flaminio Ponzio (1560-1613).
Author: Giovanni Fontana, Flaminio Ponzio; Carlo Fontana.
Dating: 1610-1614; 1690-1693
Original nutrition: Acquedotto Acqua Paola

Via Garibaldi
Designed on the model of the ancient triumphal arch, the fountain consists of five large arches flanked by columns and a large attic with the dedicatory inscription. For the decorative part, white and polychrome stripped marbles were used, coming from the Roman Forum and the Temple of Minerva at the Forum of Nerva, while the columns, in red and gray granite, belonged to the ancient Constantinian basilica of St. Peter.
At the end of the 1600s the architect Carlo Fontana (1638-1714) modified the façade, giving the fountain its current shape: a monumental marble basin was added to replace the five collection basins, originally inserted between the intercolumns of the arches.
Damaged by French cannons during the short Roman Republic of 1849, the fountain underwent a first restoration in 1859 and subsequently in 1934 and in the 1950s. The last important conservative intervention carried out by the Capitoline Administration dates back to 2002-2004.
From 1901 to the 1930s, the water from the "fountain" powered Rome's first hydroelectric power station.
A curiosity: the large, and beautiful, epigraph in the attic contains an error. In fact, the restoration of the Alsietino aqueduct is mentioned while in reality, as we have seen, it was the ancient aqua traiana that was restored.
Behind the fountain there is a small garden in memory of the much larger one that existed in the seventeenth century and which Pope Alexander VII Chigi (1655-1667) had designated as a Botanical Garden. The small garden at the back of the monument is accessed via a staircase in via Garibaldi n. 30, from where you can enjoy a magnificent panoramic view of the city.
10. Fountain of Santa Maria in Trastevere
Documented in 1471 in Pietro il Massaio's map of Rome, the fountain in piazza S. Maria in Trastevere
it originally presented a very widespread typology in the fifteenth century, with two basins of different sizes rising from the center of a polygonal basin.
This shape, with some variations, has been maintained up to the present day, despite the fact that the fountain has been the subject of numerous interventions.
Author: Carlo Fontana.
Dating: 1692, 1873.
The first restoration was commissioned by Giovanni di Valenza, cardinal of the title of Santa Maria in Trastevere, during the pontificate of Alexander VI Borgia (1492-1503).

Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere
On this occasion the second basin was abolished and mouths in the shape of a wolf's head were added around the remaining basin. In 1604 there is news of another intervention carried out by Girolamo Rainaldi (1570-1655), probably following the arrival of the Felice water in Trastevere.
At the time of Pope Alexander VII Chigi (1655-1667) the fountain was moved to the center of the square and was equipped with a greater quantity of water coming from the renewed Traiano-Paolo aqueduct. The work was entrusted to Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680) who worked on the octagonal basin at the base. The coat of arms of Alexander VII and the commemorative inscription were sculpted on the mirrors of the tub and four double shells were inserted above the mirrors themselves.
In 1692 Innocenzo XII Pignatelli (1691-1700) transformed the fountain again, entrusting the work to the architect Carlo Fontana (1634/38-1714), who expanded the capacity of the basin, made of travertine, and replaced the Bernini shells with larger ones with upright valves.
Finally, in 1873, the Municipality of Rome rebuilt the fountain according to the 1692 model, using the gray bardiglio and adding a showy S.P.Q.R on the outside of the shells.
Contact now to book your unforgettable stay!
Don't miss the opportunity to live a unique experience a stone's throw from the heart of Rome. Contact us now to book your stay at our facilities and discover the tranquility and comfort that await you.